Having email on your iPhone and iPad is very convenient if you want to be able to check your email at any time. It means that you don’t have to wait until you’re at a computer to check your emails, saving you time and hassle, and you can read and reply to important mails as soon as they arrive in your in box. It is very easy to set up too!
What you’ll learn in this guide:
- How to set up an email account if you don’t already have one (Gmail, Outlook etc.) and get the login details
- How to find and open the iPhone or iPad email application
- How to use your sign in details to connect your email account to the iPhone or iPad email app
- Choosing what you want to synchronise
- Confirming your account and starting to use your email
- A brief overview of some of the main third party email apps
Follow these step by step instructions to install email on your iPhone or iPad
Step 1: Making sure you have an email account set up
First you will need the details of your email account. You will need your email address, e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org, as well as your password. If you do not have an email account, you will need to set one up. Go online and visit the site of the email provider you would like to use. Some of the most popular are www.gmail.com, www.outlook.com and www.yahoo.co.uk. Follow the instructions on the site and make note of your password. We recommend you make your password difficult to guess, including letters, numbers and symbols.
Step 4: Confirming your details
You can choose which account you send an email from by tapping the ‘From’ field and selecting the account you want to use. Once you’ve added recipients to your mail, you can change the order or drag them to the Cc or Bcc fields.
Step 6: Third party email apps
Although the iPhone default mail app is good, you might prefer the different functions offered by other third party email apps.
- If you use an online email provider such as Gmail or Outlook, you might want to install their specific app for your email for improved usage. Alternatively, you might to look for an app that offers the kind of functionality you like with your email.
- Mailbox allows you to swipe to carry out a command and comes with an extra 1GB of storage for your Dropbox when you install it. However, it’s only compatible with Gmail and iCloud.
- CloudMagic allows you to access all your email accounts in one inbox and is compatible with all the main email providers and IMAP accounts. It’s also fully integrated with apps such as Evernote and MailChimp, making it even easier to organise your email activity with your phone.
Now you can install and use email on your iPhone. You can choose to use your phone’s provided email app or you can install a specific email app for even more functionality.
Once you’ve mastered emailing from your phone, you might like to explore other ways to connect with your friends and family. You could install WhatsApp to send messages, group messages, photos, etc. You can even learn about video messaging and using FaceTime to stay in touch.
June 30, 2018
May 23, 2018